We all know of the statement “First impression is the last one”. Well, this is true in most cases, especially in the professional world. And if you are using an Interactive Voice Response system or IVR, you must know and accept the importance of a good and clear IVR script in your business. It can be very helpful to annoy your customers if not done right. On the other hand, it should help you retain your customers or clients.
IVR is like the door to your business. A customer is not able to know you personally but the first time he will be making a contact with your business will be through an IVR. Therefore it is imperative to have a well-written, comprehendible, and effective IVR script for your business. Most of the time, IVR gets a bad rap because of poorly constructed IVR messages, inaudible IVR recording, and too much jargon in the script. This further leads to caller frustration and a lost business opportunity. We would suggest you go through the tips below to create a better IVR system for a better understanding of designing an efficient IVR system.
In this article, we will talk about the perfect IVR script for any business in different stages or process of a call.
1. Welcome Greeting
Everybody likes to hear a warm and friendly greeting. It might just bring a smile on their face. Therefore make sure to include a welcome greeting in your IVR script. In particular, remember to keep it simple and short. In fact, the most used and approved greetings are mentioned below:
- Thank you for calling XYZ company.
- Thank you for calling XYZ. Don’t forget to check out www.xyz.com for a list of our latest specials and events.
- You have reached XYZ. Your call is important to us. Please hold while we connect your call.
- Thank you for calling XYZ. Please hold, and one of our amazing support agents will answer your call as soon as possible.
- Thank you for calling ABC, where customer service is our priority.
2. Main Menu Message
After the greeting, comes the main menu options. Try to keep the options as less as possible. As a matter of fact, a standard that most companies follow is to have a maximum of 5 menu options with 3 submenu options at the most. Let us understand this with an IVR script:
Firstly ask the customer to chose their language.
Hello, you have reached XYZ. “For English press 1. Para Español presione el número 2.”
Most importantly allow the customer to enter their option anytime during the whole message and not wait till for the whole message to finish. Furthermore, always include an option to talk to an operator.
- For new customers, press 1
- Customer support, press 2.
- For billing, press 3.
- For technical issue, press 4
- If you would like to speak with an Operator, press 0.
- Press 9 to repeat the menu.
3. Available Agents Greeting
Suppose in the above example, a customer presses 2 for customer support and his call gets directed to the agent. A message similar to the ones mentioned below will be appreciated:
- Please hold while we connect you to the next available agent.
- Please stay on the line. Your call is being connected to one of our customer support representatives.
4. Waiting IVR Message to make a good IVR script for any business
After the customer chooses their language and the option where they want to be connected, they would want to talk to the agent. In most cases, the agents are busy with other calls and there may be a wait time, the customer has to experience. In this scenario, a wait message script should be drafted to assure the customers that their request has been acknowledged and you are working on it.
Suppose the customer presses 3 for billing issues, the message should be like:
- All of our agents are currently busy. Please hold, and we will answer your call as soon as possible.
- All of our agents are busy at this time. Your call is very important to us. Please stay on the line and we will answer your call
5. Delay Announcement
When a caller waits for over 2 minutes to talk to the agent, he is likely to get furious. So it is must send again a strong reassurance message.
- Thank you for your patience. All of our agents are still busy. Please continue to hold and your call will be answered in the order it was received.
- All of our agents are currently assisting other callers. Press 1 to leave a message. Press 2 to have an agent call you back.
- All of our agents are still busy. Please visit our website at www.xyz.com for useful information, or continue to hold and the next available agent will take your call.
6. After Business Hour Greetings to make a good IVR script for any business
Since IVR systems can work 24/7 but this does not hold true for your agents. So there are chances your customers call after business hours and want to speak to an agent. In this case, a well-drafted IVR script saves your day.
- Thank you for calling XYZ. We are currently unavailable to take your call. Please leave a message after the beep, or contact us during business hours: Monday through Friday between 9 am and 5 pm Eastern Standard Time. Thank you!
- Thank you for calling XYZ. You have reached this message because it is after business hours. Please leave a message after the beep, or call back between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday.
7. Holiday Closure Greetings
In addition, there are chances a caller might call you during a national or a festive holiday. You can have a separate IVR recording which will take the caller to the next prompt.
- Thank you for calling XYZ, we are currently closed in observance of [holiday name]. We will return on [Date] at 8 AM Eastern Standard Time.
- To leave a voicemail, please press 2.
- To repeat this menu, please press the # key.
- [If no response after a few seconds] Goodbye
After Pressing 2
- Thank you for your message, our executive will contact you upon our return.
8. Intelligent Reconnect Prompt
The last one on our list of IVR script for any business is Intelligent Reconnect Prompt. In this case, if a customer calls back after a disconnection within the intelligent reconnect time threshold. They should hear a message as follows:
- It looks like you recently called us and were disconnected. Can we attempt to reconnect you with the agent you were speaking with? If you would rather return to the main menu, please press 1 now. Otherwise, stay on the line to be reconnected.
- You’ve reached XYZ. It looks like you called us recently. Would you like to skip the line and be connected to the next available agent? If you would prefer to return to the main menu, press 1.
Altogether, make sure you use somewhat similar messages as mentioned above when drafting your IVR script because a good IVR script can make or break customers’ interest in your company. The situations and script in this article are applicable to all types of businesses.
Apart from this, if you want help with IVR script of a specific industry such as banking, healthcare, restaurant, and many others, please leave a comment below or contact us at email@example.com. Our team will help you in drafting the most effective IVR script for your organization.